PERSONIFICATION (CHARACTER DESIGN)

Week 1 - Week 4
See Zi Yi (0340094)
Character Design
Personification


INSTRUCTIONS


Week 1 (29/03/21)

In the first lesson, we are briefed about the module by Ms Anis. Below are the slides she presented to us:

She also suggested us to kickstart our module by trying out the blob art challenge. Below is my attempt:

Fig. 1 Blob Art Exercise


Below are the files shared by the lecturer us for reference purposes.

 


To kickstart with this class, we were briefed on our first assignment, which is to create an Original Character. I started off by researching Ancient China Civilization as I would like to use this as my OC's background setting and for cultural references. Below is the lecture slides. 

 
I have compiled all of my research about my OC and its background setting in the following mood board.

   

Then, we were required to come up with silhouettes of our characters. Below is my attempt. 
Fig. 1.0 Silhouettes Sketches 1.0

Fig. 1.1 Silhouettes Sketches 2.0


Based on the feedback received from my classmates, I narrowed down my options to no 7 and no 9. I then created more detailed sketches of my character in costumes and in different hairstyles as shown below. I also wanted to find out if my character looks better when her head is tilted or straight when she's playing her flute.

Fig. 1.2 Detailed Sketches 1.0


Fig. 1.3 Detailed Sketches 2.0

Fig. 1.4 Detailed Sketches 3.0

Fig. 1.5 Detailed Sketches 4.0

Fig. 1.6 Detailed Sketches 5.0

Below is the first final outcome of my OC with her biodata.
Fig. 1.7 OC and her Biodata

I received feedback from Ms Anis saying that the hair buns on my character look rather odd as they look like the ears of an animal. Hence, I made them rounder and more similar to the common-looking hair buns. Below is the first turnaround of my character.
Fig. 1.8 1st Turnaround of my OC

The feedback I received was that I can create a more asymmetrical design for her costume. Rather than having two flower accessories on her head, she can have one huge one on either side. Below is a reference image sent by Ms Anis to me.

Fig. 1.9 Hinoa from new Monster Hunter

However, I realized that my character is lacking personality and looks rather like a side character than the main character. Hence, to add more persona to it, I modified the costume of my character. The base is still the same but I decided to tweak it a little here and there to better suit the personality I established earlier. Below are my attempts on costume design.

Fig. 1.10 Costume Design Variations

Based on my exploration above, I came up with my first detailed B&W silhouette for my OC as seen in the figure below.
Fig. 1.11 Final Detailed B&W Silhouette

Below is the turnaround of Xu Xuan.
Fig. 1.11 Final Turnaround of Xu Xuan

The feedback I received was that my character has more persona to it and it looks more like the main character now. The flower on her head can be placed in front of her hair bun.


Final Submission for Character Design Task 1

Comments

Popular Posts