EXERCISE (DIGITAL MATTE PAINTING)

Week 1 - Week
See Zi Yi (0340094)
Digital Matte Painting
Exercise

INSTRUCTIONS


Week 1 (22/08/2021)

Exercise Instructions

For this module, we will undergo a series of exercises that will enhance our understanding of matte as listed below:

1. Perspective Studies (Landscapes and Interiors)
2. Compositions
3. Value Studies
4. Sky Replacements
5. Invisible Set Extensions

Exercise 1 Instructions

Step 1: Find high-resolution landscape (16:9, 1080 x 1920) references of real-life sceneries, clouds, and texture
Step 2: Construct and deconstruct photos (3 categories: 3 mountains, 3 plain, 3 seas) by identifying the horizon, vertical point, vanishing point
Step 3: Set the ambiance by creating a value painting of it.

* The vanishing point follows the horizon.

Exercise 1 Progression

Here is the expected outcome for next week's exercise:

Fig. 1.0 Example

Below is my progression. To start with this exercise, I identify the horizon and the vanishing points.

Fig. 1.1 Identifying horizon and vanishing points

Then, I brought the lines to another artboard and started to sketch out the line drawing of the mountains.

Fig. 1.2 Line drawing of the landscape

I then started the value painting on the skies. 

Fig. 1.3 Value painting of the sky

I continued with the value painting of the mountains by blotting out the paint roughly.

Fig. 1.4 Blotting out value painting of the mountains

Below is my first attempt at the value painting of the mountain landscape.

Fig. 1.5 First attempt of mountain landscape

I practiced the same method for the rest of my landscape value painting too.

Fig. 1.6 Same method being applied on other landscape painting 

Below is the compilation of 9 landscape paintings I did for mountain, plain, and sea.


Week 2 (30/08/2021)

KEY TAKEAWAY: 

Horizon = camera position = eye level (does not have to be straight)
Rules of Thirds = for photo composition
Golden Ratio = the eye movement, how much weightage should we place, which leads your eyes
Skewing = the closer an object gets to the horizon, the more skewed it would be. 

Feedback: Mr Kannan commented that I need to fix some of my landscape paintings' perspectives, values, and adjust the horizon. 

Exercise 1 Progression

Referencing to the example shown above in Fig. 1.1, Mr Kannan pointed out that the horizon is drawn incorrectly. It should be a little above the tar road, as it is where the tar road vanished. Its value should be fixed as well. Below is the amended version. 

Fig. 1.7 Improvised Horizon

Below is the compilation of all my refined versions for Week 2.

 

Reflection: In the revised version above, I have amended the landscape paintings' perspectives, values, and adjusted the horizon. In the future, I would like to polish the details of these paintings. 

Week 3 (06/09/2021)

For Week 3's class, we were tasked to execute another two more exercises. 

Exercise 2 Instructions
Pick a real photo and create 6 variations of digital painting based on the change of time. E.g. 
  1. Sunrise
  2. Morning
  3. Noon 
  4. Afternoon
  5. Sunset
  6. Night
Exercise 3 Instructions
Pick a real photo and photo bash another variation of the sky onto it. Amendments to the surroundings need to be carried out to fit the time of the day, e.g. colour correction, enhancing its saturation, highlights etc.

Exercise 2 Progression

Below is my chosen photo.

Fig. 1.8 Reference photo

Below is my digital painting of it.

Fig. 1.9 Matte Painting

Then, I altered the sky according to the different timings of the day.

Fig. 1.10 Sunrise

Fig. 1.11 Morning

Fig. 1.11 Noon

Fig. 1.12 Afternoon

Fig. 1.13 Sunset

Fig. 1.14 Night

Exercise 3 Progression

Below is my chosen real photo.

Fig. 1.15 Online Image

Then, I decided to place this sky 

Fig. 1.16 Sky

I followed this tutorial for this photo bashing exercise.

The below is my first attempt.

Fig. 1.17 Outcome

Week 4 (13/09/2021)

Feedback: Some changes should be made on both exercises 2 and 3. Overall, it's there but still has to be refined. Exercise 2: some moonlight penetration should be added to Fig. 1.14, the sunray of Fig. 1.10 should be toned down a little.

Reflection: I realized I did exercises 2 and 3 wrongly, so I decided to redo them. But I learned a lot about how the sky changes in a day.

Week 6 (27/09/2021)

Here is the compilation of my new Exercise 2.

Fig. 1.18 Sunrise

Fig. 1.19 Morning

Fig. 1.20 Noon

Fig. 1.21 Afternoon

Fig. 1.22 Sunset

Fig. 1.23 Night

Feedback: Morning should be replaced with Afternoon. The color of the mountains shouldn't be much of a change for Noon and Afternoon, it's just a matter of vibrance. 

Reflection: I realized I mixed up the skies as the image is not the exact representation of the sky at that point of the day. Therefore, I should do more research prior to choosing the picture.


Final Submission for Digital Matte Painting Exercise


Comments

Popular Posts