Design Exploration

See Zi Yi (0340094)
29/03/22 - 05/07/22
Design Exploration
Compilation
INSTRUMENTS


Week 1 | 29th March 2022

We were briefed on Design Exploration and its assignment. The task is to create an innovative vision of the SDGs expectations shaped by current design trends and emerging creative technology. We are encouraged to think about creating content for both non and digital thinkers but with human-centered design in order to promote ONE of these goals with the aim of generating awareness, educating your audience, and triggering action. 

In the brief, we were encouraged to start by researching an area of interest and identifying our audience. What are their wants, needs, expectations, and capabilities? Then it’s time to start thinking about emerging (or existing, but unexplored) technologies, and how they could enable a seamless connection and conversation between the person and the goal. 

Week 2 | 5th April 2022

This week, we were lectured on Design Process with the video below.


Then, we filled in a form to take turns and present our ideation for our project. Below is my progression from the first week.


Feedback: The research is sufficient and complete for this stage. I can proceed with Idea 1 since I seem more invested in the first one. I have voiced out a silent problem, which is that History is very boring. For the possible outcome, Solution 1 can be combined with Solution 2, which is to redesign the textbook and include the cards together with the textbook. 

By Next Week:
1. Research and identify art direction
2. Research content to be included
3. Reference

Week 3-5 | 12th-26th April 2022

I spent these two weeks compiling my proposal below.


Feedback: It's an interesting idea and Ms Anis looks forward to the execution of my project. A few classmates also think that my project has a good point as History is indeed a boring subject.

Week 6-9 | 3rd-24th May 2022

Upon getting my proposal approved, I moved on to start working on my proposal. To begin with, I gathered some references from Pinterest.

Reference 1

Reference 2

To get started, I experimented with the chosen color palette. However, I realized my work is losing some identity, as the color palette is too big of a range. Hence, I changed the colors.

Colour Palette A

Colour Palette B

I also illustrated some vector assets inspired by the Malaysian flag to add on some fun elements to my work.
Elements

I also proposed a new concept which is to have a text-scribbled textbook to make it adhere to the fun theme proposed earlier.

With the changes, I made some progress by experimenting with various pages of the textbook.

Page 1-2

Page 3-4

Feedback: Ms Anis commented that the serif font can be changed into a san serif font as it takes away the fun aspect of the idea proposed. I can also try reusing the font for my titles, as it seems suitable. 


Week 10 | 31st May 2022

Today is a compulsory progression check where we should present our current progression. Below is my progression.

Page 1-2

Page 3-4

Page 5-6

Page 6-7

Page 8-9

Feedback: Ms Anis suggested that I can look into Guerilla Marketing, the creating use of novel or unconventional methods in order to boost sales or attract interest in a brand or business. This is indeed a very interesting way of marketing hence I did more research on it.

Week 11-13 | 7th-21st June 2022

With the feedback, I continued working on my work and consulted Ms Anis again on Week 13. 

Book Cover

Page 1-2

Page 3-4

Page 5-6

Page 7-8

Page 9-10

Page 11-12

Page 13-14

Page 15-16

Page 17-18

Page 19-20

Page 21-22

Page 23-24

Page 25

Progression Compilation 

Book Cover Mock Up

Book Content Mock Up

Book Content Mock Up

Chapter Review Card Mock Up

Flipbook

Week 14 | 28th June May 2022

Today is the final presentation of our outcomes. Below are the Google Slides for Week 14.

 

Reflection

EXPERIENCE
I have experienced the life of a graphic designer within the span of 14 weeks, as I was spending a lot of my time learning how to create decent-looking page layouts and figuring out the best way to present information. I utilized the knowledege I have learnt in typography, as well as information design. I'd say that this is a project I have always been wanting to work on and finally being able to execute it and bring it to life feels very fullfiling!

OBSERVATION
I noticed some of my friends did really interesting projects which inspired me a lot! Especially Hanbo's "Based on Food" project! I love how he creatively infuse food and famous people in the History together to highlight on the zero hunger issue. This made me realized that a lot of the times what we actually need is a great idea/concept to begin with. Innovation should always be incorporated to create groundbreaking, creative and inspring designs.

FINDINGS
I found that my work has improved drastically from the first semester especially my sense of design. I can now tell what's a good design and what can be improved to make a better design. This project also made me realized that I am passionate to help students out for their better understanding of the History subject. Upon the completion of my project, I reflected on it again and realized that it's actually still far from being "fun". I hope to improve this project further and incorporate more of my strength in entertainment design into it in the future.
















Comments

Popular Posts